Wednesday, October 19, 2011

My Influences In Physical Education


My high school didn’t have a quality physical education program, we had gym class.  Grades 9-12 was a roll out the balls and play form of physical education with no attention being given to tactics, technique, or skill.  I did not enjoy PE when I was in high school because I didn’t feel prepared to play in games so early.  I developed a dislike for Ultimate Frisbee in high school because our PE teachers didn’t spend time on the skills, they assumed that everyone was good at throwing Frisbees.  Once I got to college and learned the proper way to throw and catch a Frisbee, I fell in love with Ultimate.  I want my students to experience success in the activities that I teach so that they like the activities and therefore like to be physically active.  Setting up students for success at a young age sets them up to be physically active for life.  My teachers did not set up their classes for success and a lot of kids lost an interest in physical activity.  With a variety of activities, and proper teaching techniques my PE experience could have been a lot better.  I hope that I can make a positive impact on the program I join so that no more kids are discouraged from physical education. 

No comments:

Post a Comment